When John got home I asked him about the game. He said we played poorly. Box Elder, the other team, played better and deserved the win. When I asked him about the bad call he just said that we shouldn't have let ourselves be in a situation where one call makes the difference in the game. That was it. No complaining. No bad mouthing the refs. No blaming.
I felt about 2 feet tall. I need to be a better sport. I'm thankful for John's example to me and for a coach who teaches the boys good sportsmanship whether winning or losing.
This is John with his nephew, Cash. (I think Cash wanted a win.)

That loss was heartbreaking, but isn't it wonderful when our children teach us to put things into perspective? Way to go John! And a great example of wonderful coaching for sure.
ReplyDeleteGreat post Nan. Sometimes we have to wonder who is supposed to be teaching who. Kids can be such great examples to parents. Of course John has been raised well and you have set the bar high. He is just following in his parent's footsteps.
ReplyDeletejohn definitely has learned from amazing parents. what a great lesson! i have been in a similar situation of reproval and found myself realizing i needed to be supportive and not so quick to anger. thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete