Saturday, October 24, 2009

To everything there is a season



It's interesting being a grandma. I love the little guy as I loved my own children but I'm not the mom. There are some things he needs his mom for that I can't help him with. That's a big change for me.

Mindy is loving every minute of being a mother. She feels like she's playing house all day but now that Cash is 5 + weeks old she's getting tired. She knows her life has changed and while she wouldn't want it any other way, she's missing being able to make plans with her friends and do all the social things she is accustomed to doing. She knows those are small sacrifices for the innumerable blessings she is receiving. She has moved into a new phase in her life.

I look at my past summer and realize I am in a totally different phase than Mindy. It was 20 years from the time my first, Mark, was born until the time my last, John, went to school. I loved those years and gladly made any personal sacrifices for the children I love so much and miss those days of young motherhood but now, I wonder with all the activities I've been doing, if I'm trying to make up for lost time.

I learned that every phase of life is wonderful and challenging. We need to remember to enjoy the ride.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I loved this post Nan. I think one of the biggest challenges in life is being content where you are. I have the tendency to always look and plan for the future and sometimes forget to simply enjoy and live one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: Mindy looks so happy, I love that picture of her and Cash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Natalie. Reading your blog and hearing about all you and Josh are doing, you are certainly enjoying the ride! You are a darling couple with a bright, bright future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to think of my life in terms of seasons. There will be a time for me to do the things I want, just not all at once. I'd love more me time, but am I willing to give up sticky little boy kisses and snuggles in the morning for it - not a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheri, I admire you because you are being the super mom while somehow squeezing in time to run some races, water ski, and who knows what else, Go girl! You are doing it all (although I agree, the sticky little boy kisses are priceless).

    ReplyDelete